[RFC] nALFS User's Guide

Richard A Downing FBCS richard at 109bean.org.uk
Sat May 29 23:34:38 PDT 2004

James Robertson wrote:
> All,
>
> What do we want in the user's guide?  I started just making a copy of
> the install and readme files.  Is this what we want, or is there
> something else?  Comments please
>
> James
As well as that: I'd say a step by step example of using it to build
something, even LFS although that's a bit big.

The things I've found hard to grasp were initially configuration, but
then: what to do when something goes wrong, that is how to restart
without starting from the beginning (mark what's left and then run marked).

It's not clear to the xml-uninitiated that nALFS has to read in the xml
completely and work on it as a single tree.  So none of the branches can
change without re-reading the whole.  This means that any change implies
losing context (e.g. what's been done already).  As someone said to me
on IRC: "Think about how it works", which is exactly why a newbie has
problems - they just want to USE it.

--
Richard A Downing FBCS CITP
http://www.109bean.org.uk/