XIncludes Halted (Segfault) :(

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu May 27 17:44:17 PDT 2004

Thomas Pegg wrote:

> Due to a segmentation fault caused by using libxml2 2.6.9 with nALFS
> 1.2.2 the conversion to XIncludes is going to be delayed until this is
> resolved. Otherwise nALFS will have to be compiled only with libxml2
> 2.5.11.

This is a known problem with 2.6.9, I believe. The LFS book editors were
having trouble as well with this stuff. I would try again with 2.6.10 if
you can, and if that fixes the problem we'll have to update the docs to
specify that as a minimum version (and then regenerate the 1.2.2 tarball).

> Kevin, I've attatched output from strace, if that could be of any help
> to you to debug this.

After looking over the log (this was helpful, thanks for capturing it),
it appears that the problem may actually be in nALFS itself. I can run
it under valgrind on my test system to see what's happening; is the
profile that fails the one currently in CVS, or do you have uncommitted
changes?