quickstart fails

Richard A Downing FBCS richard at 109bean.org.uk
Tue May 25 04:53:25 PDT 2004

Richard A Downing FBCS wrote:
> Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>
>> calmar wrote:
>>
>>> Any hints how to solve this or is there something wrong with anything?
>>

>> The hint is to read the README files present in the tarball. The
>> top-level one would have told you about the .nALFSrc file, and the one
>> in the profile directory tells you how to configure the profile before
>> you try to use it.
>

> Until the User Manual actually contains something useful (and right)
> wouldn't it be better to exclude it from the tarball?
>
> All it is at the moment is an introduction with some incomplete
> Quickstart instructions.  This is VERY misleading to new users.
>
> My personal mantra is:  "A program doesn't exist until it's
> documentation does".  By this rule nALFS doesn't exist.

I've just re-read my posting here - it's not quite fair.  So, I'd like
to add that I think nALFS is extremely good software - I'm just learning
how to use it.  It will be even better with some user documentation.

Another personal mantra: "Don't complain about anything you aren't
prepared to try and fix yourself."

So I'll write some documentation for you.  (Once I work out how to use it).

--
Richard A Downing FBCS CITP
http://www.109bean.org.uk/