[RFC] Moving the BLFS and LFS profiles to using XIncludes

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun May 23 09:58:08 PDT 2004

Thomas Pegg wrote:

> How do using XIncludes make for more complex parsing, I've never noticed
> anything when I used them in my profiles.

The entities (common ones) are being parsed repeatedly, and the extra
{alfs} elements cause the node tree in nALFS to be larger. These are not
large concerns, so I wouldn't use them as a reason not to move forward,
  I just wanted to make sure they got mentioned.

> There could be a potential problem with that approach, say if some
> things get rearranged by way the order there in the book, then all the
> files have to cvs removed, renamed and then added again to suit the new
> order.

You are right; while we are stuck with CVS that is a big problem since
it doesn't handle renames. If this idea is to be pursued then the
information would have to be embedded in an XML comment inside the
profile file itself, which would complicate the top-level builder
somewhat (it would end up being a Perl script, probably).

I still think this is a useful method, but not worth a lot of
implementation time. If you want to move the profiles over to using the
XInclude method go ahead... when I start working on nALFS2 it's all
going to change anyway :-)