[RFC] Moving the BLFS and LFS profiles to using XIncludes

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat May 22 18:16:26 PDT 2004

Thomas Pegg wrote:

> But the initial work might actually outweigh the benefits or might not,
> since each xml has to be a valid xml file and has to include the
> general, package, etc entities as well in the doctype header of each
> file. I guess one reason is that the LFS book uses xincludes, so why not
> the profiles.

This is the thing that concerns me, we are trading some additional
maintenance work for more complex parsing at run time. However, if we
also split package.ent into sections for each chapter, that will be less
of a concern.

I can think of an additional option: if we name the files in the chapter
directories properly, it would be pretty easy to produce a top-level
Makefile that could just "make" LFS.xml and system.ent from what it
finds in those directories, so maintenance would be pretty easy in that
respect. All that would be required would be to prefix the profiles in
each chapter directory with some type of numeric prefix to ensure they
can be sorted into the proper order.