[RFC] Moving the BLFS and LFS profiles to using XIncludes

Thomas Pegg thomasp at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat May 22 18:00:23 PDT 2004

I think it would be a good idea to move the profile to using XIncludes,
the main reason is so we can eliminate an entity known as system.ent,
which I think is a pain to maintain, with XInclude all you do is and
[xi:include href="some.xml" /]
that file is instantly added to the profile.
One step instead of two.

But the initial work might actually outweigh the benefits or might not,
since each xml has to be a valid xml file and has to include the
general, package, etc entities as well in the doctype header of each
file. I guess one reason is that the LFS book uses xincludes, so why not
the profiles.

It does add one requirement especially when using nALFS, you either have
to libxml 2.5.11 in the 2.5 series and at least 2.6.9 in 2.6 series for
it to work properly.

Comments?

--
Thomas