BLFS profile status

Thomas Pegg thomasp at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat May 22 16:59:44 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 11:19, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Thomas Pegg wrote:
>
> > Yep, your right, although I was thinking of a new file called
> > config.ent, since configuration is a big part of BLFS, if all it was put
> > general.ent it would become fairly cluttered, plus I always think of
> > general.ent as a location to put common entities.
>
> That is a good idea, and I've been thinking about doing that for LFS as
> well. I don't really like having users make changes in the file that
> also contains things they shouldn't be touching (like version numbers
> and related stuff).
>
> >>6) The "checkit.sh" script is not functional, as it uses old-style
> >>xmllint arguments (and not the right ones anyway as best I can tell).
> >>Are you guys using that? If not, I can update it to do the right thing
> >>and it will then be useful for maintenance of the profile.
> >
> > I've been using it quite often, the results seem fine, but if you think
> > it's need updated by all means do so.
>
> OK, when I tried it didn't seem to do the right thing, but I'll look at
> it again.
>
> > I just looked at that I see what you mean it replaces all & with &,
> > could easily just sed it back out to normal maybe.
>
> Maybe... but if there are actual & anywhere in the profile then they
> would get replaced too.
That's true, and after do some further research, it's not necessarily
the & themselves but the fact the entities we use are not part of XML
Spec, so tidy considers them unknown. Although there are very few files
that contain & by itself, I think could still be used on a great
majority of the files and those that may have trouble spots will just
have to check over and correct tidy's errors.

--
Thomas
LFS User : 4729