BLFS profile group/user checking

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri May 21 14:24:54 PDT 2004

Thomas Pegg wrote:

>>Any use of groupadd _without_ -g (i.e. just let it grab the next
>>available group number) can use this:
>>
>>groupadd -f mysql
>
> Is that an undocumented option, it's nowhere in the man/info pages nor
> in groupadd help menu?

It's on my systems running coreutils-5.2.1, but this is a valid point,
it may not be present on old versions of coreutils (or whatever package
groupadd used to come from before coreutils was merged). It is present
on my old RedHat system, but marked as something that RedHat added, so
apparently at some point it was accepted into the main package as well.