BLFS profile status

Thomas Pegg thomasp at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri May 21 09:03:11 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 09:47, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> First, let me say you guys have been doing an excellent job... the BLFS
> profile looks very good! Can you give me some idea of how much work you
> think is left to do?
23 out of 47 chapters are updated to CVS-20040422

> Here are some ideas for things that I think might need to be changed:
>
> 1) There are user-configuration entities in packages.ent, those should
> probably be moved to general.ent somehow.
Yep, your right, although I was thinking of a new file called
config.ent, since configuration is a big part of BLFS, if all it was put
general.ent it would become fairly cluttered, plus I always think of
general.ent as a location to put common entities.

> 2) Would there be any advantage to having a separate packages.ent for
> each chapter subdirectory? If so, I can modify the runit.sh script to
> build a "master" file at run time to load them all into the profile
> (like the "files.ent" one is done now).
Not sure, it might make it easier to update each chapter, but then I've
been used to a single file for all the package entities.

> 3) I have recently modified the LFS profiles to not copy patches from
> the packages directory to the build directory, but rather to just used
> the packages_dir path for the patch command. The BLFS profile uses the
> same technique, so could likely be changed as well.
I never did like that very well, adds an unecessary step, since it can
be referenced directly. I see no problem in changing it would look a
little cleaner too.

> 4) (very minor) A mass search-replace for "Installing a package" ->
> "Installing", etc. would be a nice improvement.
Waiting until we're done updating all chapters first, then this will be
handled.

> 5) It appears that there are some files in the tree that are no longer
> needed; nalfs.dtd, chapter03/skel.xml, etc. Please feel free to "cvs
> remove" them, they will be preserved in the CVS Attic in case anyone
> ever needs them.

> 6) The "checkit.sh" script is not functional, as it uses old-style
> xmllint arguments (and not the right ones anyway as best I can tell).
> Are you guys using that? If not, I can update it to do the right thing
> and it will then be useful for maintenance of the profile.
I've been using it quite often, the results seem fine, but if you think
it's need updated by all means do so.

> 7) I'd like to find a way to use "tidy" to clean up and standardize the
> formatting of all the files. I have tested using:
>
> tidy --input-xml true --tidy-mark false --wrap false
> --literal-attributes true file.xml
>
> And it does a very nice job (including defaulting to two-space indent,
> which is what I prefer since it keeps files from getting wide), but it
> won't seem to leave the entity references alone. If somebody can figure
> out how to get it to do that this would be a nice way to maintain the
> XML files.
I just looked at that I see what you mean it replaces all & with &,
could easily just sed it back out to normal maybe.
--
Thomas
LFS User : 4729