Better Instructions?

Ron remo at rmoconsulting.net
Thu May 13 10:02:01 PDT 2004

Its not that it took 6 hours to get nALFS compiled, it took me that long to get the system set up to get there. I wasnt sure on where to put the files and I didnt
figure out about the modifying the files till later. I followed the instructions in the book that says about jumping right in after loading the files. The book didnt
mention anything about the configuration files needing to be modified. so when I tried the "jump right in" it died. I found the read me files and the mail
archive and figured it out. I got nALFS compiled and the profiles modified for my system and started the build of LFS last night. this morning it got all the way
through to compiling the kernal, but died. I didnt have time to check the log to see why and will do that tonight when I get home from work.

On Thu, 13 May 2004 09:03:31 -0700, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

>Ron wrote:

>> I am trying to build ALFS, I built the LFS once a few months ago and blew it away when I had a hard drive die on my server. I would like to install it all
again and
>> found the ALFS interesting. I have tried the bootcd to use as my host system, but either copy doesnt work on my server for one reason or another, so I
am
>> starting out with Fedora. I worked on it last night for about 6 hours straight and finally got the nALFS compiled.

>If it took you six hours to get nALFS compiled something is very wrong
>with your system, your setup or something else. Also, if you are using a
>recent Fedora (later than Core 1) and are trying to build LFS-5.1-pre2
>you will experience problems, because FC2 contains updated packages that
>  interfere with building the toolchain in LFS chapter 5. FC2 is a
>decent starting point to build an LFS CVS book, but not for 5.1-pre2.

>> When I ran the program, it flew through
>> everything and nothing happened. I am still doing research on nALFS and find I need to configure some files to point to proper directories and such 5
more
>> hours later.

>nALFS does not do anything by itself, it needs a profile. If the profile
>you are using (which you do not mention) requires configuration before
>it can be used, then yes, you will need to configure it first.

>this point I am still guessing on where things are suppose to go to
>create my LFS system and was just wondering if there were some better
>> directions as the ALFS manual is very short on what needs to be configured, what files need modified and where directories need to be created. I am
also
>> unsure if the nALFS will download the files it needs or do I need to get the tarbells files and if so, where do these go so that nALFS can find them.

>nALFS includes a README file that describes everything needed to compile
>it; if you found that something was missing from that README file but
>was required to get nALFS to compile please let us know.

>The ALFS profiles distributed by our team (the "official" profiles) also
>contain README files that document how they are to be used, and that
>they need to be configured. They also tell you how to set up the
>configuration directory based on whether you downloaded all the
>individual package sources or a combined tarball, and they tell you that
>all the package sources will be copied into your build directory as part
>of the profile execution.

>To be frank, it sounds like you are not yet ready to build a system
>using ALFS tools. The problems you are reporting are things that you
>should be able to analyze and solve on your own, using the provided
>documentation and the resources of the LFS web site (mailing list
>archives, FAQs, etc). These are quite basic questions and someone who
> [...]

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: 14AD 1807 B936 376A  01EE CC19 D9ED 9EF6