[VOTE] Re: directory-handling with nALFS

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Mar 31 05:32:56 PST 2004

Reinhard wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I added a little check to mkdir-handler, so that it does not fail, if the
> target is already a directory.
> I could not think of a situation, where it is considered a fatal error, when
> the directory to create is already there. So I think, this issue is not worth
> for profile-extension.

(We do have a Bugzilla system for this type of thing as well Reinhard,
you should probably check that out :-))

The patch looks fine, but I'll have to leave it up to the community as
to whether this is a good idea or not. In the past, the profile has just
proceed if the target path already exists. Granted, that's a non-obvious
use of that option, but since all it does is pass -p to mkdir, and
that's documented behavior for mkdir's -p option, that's what we've
always done.

Let's put this to a vote, and in a week or someone can summarize the
results: Should the nALFS <mkdir> handler _always_ ignore the existence
of its target directory, or should it report an error if the directory
to be created already exists?