nALFS CVS status (phase 3)

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Mar 30 09:59:32 PST 2004

Reinhard wrote:

> No handler found for description (syntax version 3.1).
> [Switching to Thread 16384 (LWP 1775)]
> free_element (el=0x0) at src/parser.c:165
> 165             element_s *child = el->children;
>
> When I look at the code, I miss a security question before using the pointer.
> Could it be, that on some systems dereferencing a NULL-pointer is not a fatal
> error?

This is because the <description> handling is currently broken. It's not
used in the official LFS profile so I haven't made it a top priority to
get it working again.

> - how about to add an entity to the books to identify the type of the book?
> 	i.e. booktype=<lfs|blfs|hlfs|...>

The profile name itself should be enough.

> - some packages are known to behave badly with active compiler optimizations.
> 	How about to add an entity to the packages, which shows whether the package
> 	may work with optimizations or not.

I don't really see how these would be useful in the profile itself; if
someone is editing the profile to make these types of changes, they
better have a good understanding of what they are doing. It's also much
more maintenance work, every time a package is upgraded this would have
to be rechecked.