automated profile generation

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Mar 19 17:44:39 PST 2004

Reinhard wrote:

> I would like to offer the profiles for testing and discussion.
> Don't know, whether it's ok to send to the list.
> It's an tar.bz2 with 64k.
> bz2 was not mentioned in the spam-update from Gerard, but may be better ask
> before sending :)

No, I wouldn't recommend sending to the list. If you've got webspace
somewhere you can post it there and send a link, or if one of the LFS
team members gets involved they can put it in their webspace on the LFS
server.

> 23 out of 341 failed cause of tricky usage of sed command.
> May be an ALFS-insider could give me a bit assistance on how to do command
> chaining or how to convert a sed command, where source and target differ ...

IMHO you're going to have trouble completing and/or maintaining this
method of profile production. If it were me I'd take a long look at
lfscmd and see how it extracts the commands from the XML and then build
something that works that way. Also, the LFS book (and probably the BLFS
book) are about to experience a complete change in the way their XML is
structured, so your script will probably break badly very soon :-(