ALFS Limited to LFS Only?

Reinhard bookreader at gmx.com
Wed Mar 17 06:51:15 PST 2004

Hello,

when I started with BLFS (not so far ago) I had a quick look at ALFS. I didn't
scanned the mailing list, therefor I thought ALFS is just for LFS only.

So I wrote a script, which takes the commands and links out of blfs, scans the
dependencies (honoring the different types of dependencies and also honoring
already installed packages) and generates the files nessesary for the build.

May be, my package-selection did not conform the mainstream, so I run into
some troubles.
After checking the source for that, I found out, that the dependencies
mentioned in BLFS don't conform to the build-instructions used by the book.
I thought, that was caused by lack of time and I edited the chapters and send
the diffs to the blfs-dev mailinglist.

Well I was so silly, thinking that the different LFS-groups work together to
help each others ...

Not at all. I had to realize, that the BLFS-book has the limitations by
intention. They don't want to support automated processing.

So - whatever you do for dependency - checking, it won't work with the BLFS
book.

If somebody is interested, I could send the scripts.

At the moment I create a file for wget, different build_scripts and a Makefile
surrounding all, but it should be no great job, to change the output-module
to create profiles for nALFS.

I patched my local copy of the BLFS-book and then the script works fine.

Kind regards

Reinhard