[RFC] profile editing within nALFS: how much do you really want it?

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Mar 14 11:27:18 PST 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> This subject came up a couple of weeks ago, but is more relevant now
> with a series of changes that were just committed to CVS.
>
> The general direction that nALFS is going in will make it nearly
> impossible to provide any useful profile editing within nALFS. As it
> stands right now, once the profile is parsed nearly all knowledge of the
> original XML structure is gone; what's left is whatever information the
> handlers decided to store to be able to do their jobs when the profile
> is executed. In the future, when I get around to splitting nALFS into a
> proper frontend and backend, it will be even less possible to edit the
> profile after loading it, because the frontend will never have even
> parsed the XML at all (the backend will do that).
>
> For now I have changed the default in the configure script to not enable
> the element editor, and I suspect that it just needs to be removed. It's
> a very difficult thing to build and do properly, and there are other XML
> document creation/editing tools out there that will always be able to do
> a better job. The only possible advantage to the current scheme is that
> the editing can be done within nALFS without having to exit to reload
> the profile, but I see very little benefit to that.
>
> Anyone out there who really, really, _really_ wants to be able to edit
> profiles from within nALFS please speak up...

Hui Zhou had some good notes on his reply.  I can really see where you
are going Kevin.  It is going to increasingly be more and more difficult
to have the app keep any information on the original xml, especially
when the front and back split.

I think that profile editing may need to go the wayside.  We are going
to get a better product in the long run IMO without having to carry what
could become some really complicated code for one feature that can be
handled outside in a more fully functional way.  What I see going
forward is put profile editing techniques with a preferred editor or
method into the users guide.  That is what is was aimed for anyway - how
to take the DTD and make a profile for use in nALFS.

My $0.02.
James