[RFC] <group> element for DTD to support XInclude files

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Mar 7 09:32:03 PST 2004

James Robertson wrote:

> Why are we making changes to v3.1 of the DTD with new features?  I was
> not aware that the 3.1 DTD supported xincludes and other such stuff and
> we were only going to support it in 3.2.  I could be way off base, here,
> but it seems wrong to add new tags to a pre-existing DTD, IMO.  I am
> mostly concerned with <include> over anything else.  The xml:base and
> xmlns:xi are no big deal as they just help with pre-existing functionality.

These are not new features, they are documenting something that was
supported all along. This is a gray area, given that XInclude is not
actually processed by nALFS at all, it's handled by libXML2.

The <include> element is not new, it's just the DTD representation of
xi:include, once the xmlxs:xi attribute is used on the <alfs> element.
At least that's my understanding, I could be mistaken. If there's a
better way to incorporate this into the DTD so that profiles that use
XInclude will validate both before _and_ after XInclude processing, I'm
open to suggestions.