[RFC] <group> element for DTD to support XInclude files

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Mar 7 06:23:19 PST 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> James Robertson wrote:
>
>> Since this is to help us group packages together with xincludes in
>> separate files, can we call it <package_group>?  <group> makes me
>> think about permissions.
>

> OK, I just checked in some changes to the 3.1 and CVS DTDs. They are:
>
> 3.1:
>
> support xml:base and xmlns:xi attributes on <alfs>
> support <include> element in <alfs>
> add <include> element
> it was just wrong)
>
> CVS:
>
> support xml:base and xmlns:xi attributes on <alfs>
> support <include> element in <alfs>
> add <include> element
> add <packagegroup> element, with only <package> as an allowed child element
> support <packagegroup> in <alfs> and <stage>
> remove support for <package> child elements from everywhere except
> <alfs>, <stage> and <packagegroup>

Why are we making changes to v3.1 of the DTD with new features?  I was
not aware that the 3.1 DTD supported xincludes and other such stuff and
we were only going to support it in 3.2.  I could be way off base, here,
but it seems wrong to add new tags to a pre-existing DTD, IMO.  I am
mostly concerned with <include> over anything else.  The xml:base and
xmlns:xi are no big deal as they just help with pre-existing functionality.

Please help me understand the change.

James