Single Profile [Re: profile editting?]

Hui Zhou zhouhui at wam.umd.edu
Tue Mar 2 06:59:29 PST 2004

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 07:01:49PM -0700, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> This is a far-off enhancement... it's not something I personally have
> felt the need for, and it's a large job. However it is done it will need
> to be done using an XML-aware tool, or the user will spend a lot of time
> going through the edit/validate cycle (as they do now).

I thought more about it. Have you guys ever considered using a single
profile? I think the only difference it will make is the editing part.
It will still be valid alfs profile, so nALFS should run happily with
it.

The single file will be huge(4500 lines for a lfs build), it will not
contain references, thus it may be difficult for hand editing. But it
will easy the auto editing. I think it is not difficult to make a
program to just editing the profile (or use nALFS).

To transform from current profileS to single  file version is trivia,
but the opposite may be very difficult if not impossible.

Thoughts?

-Hui