LFS profile and perl optimization flags

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 22 16:28:48 PDT 2004

James Robertson wrote:

> If we are going to deviate from the book, I would like to have some kind
> of ./configure script or something available to be able to turn on or
> off certain pieces/add-ons of the profile.  That way you can pick
> 'default' right at the start that follows the book to the letter (for
> the testing for example).  I can see us going down that path more and
> more.  I would like to see more of the multi-processor stuff in there as
> well.  The profile editors can handle the updates over time (once we
> figure out what options work where, which is what your message is about)
> easily enough once all the foundation is laid.

As Thomas has already referred, conditional execution is really the
right way to go here. I don't want the profile to be dependent on any
outside sources of data to control its execution; everything should be
in the XML files _somewhere_.

I don't think is really a big issue for now, and adding -Doptimize='...'
to perl right now could conceivably cause problems for anyone that does
not actually put optimization flags into general.ent (in that case, we'd
be forcibly removing any default optimizations the perl package may use).

Personally, I'm hopeful that the switch to Subversion will allow us to
easily maintain a number of branches of the profile; it's conceivable we
could have "LFS standard", "LFS optimized", "multi-processor LFS", etc.,
with the core of each profile being the same "LFS standard" trunk. That
was not really possible with CVS, but it may work out well with
Subversion. Another research project for someone to look into :-)