LFS profile and perl optimization flags

Thomas Pegg thomasp at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 22 15:01:32 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 14:48, James Robertson wrote:
> Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

<snip>

> If we are going to deviate from the book, I would like to have some kind
> of ./configure script or something available to be able to turn on or
> off certain pieces/add-ons of the profile.  That way you can pick
> 'default' right at the start that follows the book to the letter (for
> the testing for example).  I can see us going down that path more and
> more.  I would like to see more of the multi-processor stuff in there as
> well.  The profile editors can handle the updates over time (once we
> figure out what options work where, which is what your message is about)
> easily enough once all the foundation is laid.

This is where I think conditional execution will become a powerful tool,
optimization is just one example, we could have a file of entities that
control such customizations, so you could easily pick wether you want
optimizations turned on or not, as well as other things. Although this
all requires DTD 3.2 and nALFS 1.3. Once these are available then this
would be a feasible project. I already there are a few packages beside
perl that don't respond to CFLAGS at all, mainly ones that don't use
configure.

--
Thomas
LFS User : 4729