LFS profile and perl optimization flags

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 22 12:48:01 PDT 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> The LFS profiles currently offer the user the option of providing
> optimization flags to be put into CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS for their build
> (except for binutils/gcc/glibc, of course). However, we don't make any
> effort to ensure that packages actually use those flags, with a prime
> example being Perl. Perl does not use CFLAGS at all, it needs
> -Doptimize='...foo...' or something on the configuration line.
>
> To correct this would require making changes to the profile that would
> make it a little more divergent from the book. How do you all feel about
> that?
>
> If we agree that this is an acceptable thing to do, would anyone like to
> take on the project of actually ensuring that packages are paying
> attention to the provided optimization flags?

If we are going to deviate from the book, I would like to have some kind
of ./configure script or something available to be able to turn on or
off certain pieces/add-ons of the profile.  That way you can pick
'default' right at the start that follows the book to the letter (for
the testing for example).  I can see us going down that path more and
more.  I would like to see more of the multi-processor stuff in there as
well.  The profile editors can handle the updates over time (once we
figure out what options work where, which is what your message is about)
easily enough once all the foundation is laid.

James