LFS profile and perl optimization flags

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 22 10:44:27 PDT 2004

The LFS profiles currently offer the user the option of providing
optimization flags to be put into CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS for their build
(except for binutils/gcc/glibc, of course). However, we don't make any
effort to ensure that packages actually use those flags, with a prime
example being Perl. Perl does not use CFLAGS at all, it needs
-Doptimize='...foo...' or something on the configuration line.

To correct this would require making changes to the profile that would
make it a little more divergent from the book. How do you all feel about
that?

If we agree that this is an acceptable thing to do, would anyone like to
take on the project of actually ensuring that packages are paying
attention to the provided optimization flags?