LFS-5.1.1 tarball permissions problem

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jun 20 15:13:27 PDT 2004

The LFS-5.1.1 packages tarball has only 0600 permissions on the package
tarballs contained within it. This causes a problem with the current LFS
profile, because after it copies the packages from the user's source
location into /tools/packages-5.1.1, it no longer changes ownership of
those files (that change was made at the request of Archaic).

That results in /tools/packages-5.1.1/*.bz2 being still owned by root,
and non-readable by the lfs user that gets created by the profile.
Ideally I'd like to see the packages tarball have 0644 permissions on
its contents (and I'll bring that up on lfs-dev), but that can't be
fixed for LFS-5.1.1.

That leaves us with a problem: we've changed the profile to no longer
chmod/chown the contents of /tools/packages-5.1.1 (in case the user is
not actually copying files into there, but instead using a CD-ROM with
the packages, or using a bind mount), but the packages are inaccessible
as the "lfs" user in chapter 5.

I think the best we can do for now is to add some text to the README
file in the profile to get people to chmod 0644 the contents of the
tarball before running the profile for the first time... anyone else
have any better suggestions?