[RFC] LFS profile testing

Thomas Pegg thomasp at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jun 20 14:58:08 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-20 at 01:02, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> The profile maintenance team needs to come up with some method and/or
> procedure for testing profile changes before we release them. Tonight I
> found two problems in the LFS-5.1.1-2 profile (already corrected and
> released as LFS-5.1.1-3):
>
> - the config_tarball package.ent file was using the wrong name for the
> expect patch
>
> - the config_tarball package.ent file did not have entities for nALFS
> and libxml2 (this one is my fault, I was the one who added them to
> config_seperate)
>
> I'd like to see some procedure set up for one (or more) of the profile
> team to actually run through a complete build, both "seperate" and
> "tarball" mode, before we say that a new LFS profile is ready for
> release. I don't think this is needed for patch-level updates (-2, -3,
> etc.) as long as we are diligent in locally testing our changes, but
> certainly when we are close to converting the HEAD profile into a
> released version we should get successful build confirmations from as
> many team members as possible before releasing the profile.

I usually test most changes before I commit them, unless it's something
really simple, then I don't, but otherwise I'll run a full build before
I commit anything. One thing I've always done before I tar up the
profiles, is go through each section of the book and look at the profile
and see if things match up as they should, sort of an audit I guess you
could call it.
--
Thomas
LFS User : 4729