[RFC] LFS profile testing

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jun 19 23:02:41 PDT 2004

The profile maintenance team needs to come up with some method and/or
procedure for testing profile changes before we release them. Tonight I
found two problems in the LFS-5.1.1-2 profile (already corrected and
released as LFS-5.1.1-3):

- the config_tarball package.ent file was using the wrong name for the
expect patch

- the config_tarball package.ent file did not have entities for nALFS
and libxml2 (this one is my fault, I was the one who added them to
config_seperate)

I'd like to see some procedure set up for one (or more) of the profile
team to actually run through a complete build, both "seperate" and
"tarball" mode, before we say that a new LFS profile is ready for
release. I don't think this is needed for patch-level updates (-2, -3,
etc.) as long as we are diligent in locally testing our changes, but
certainly when we are close to converting the HEAD profile into a
released version we should get successful build confirmations from as
many team members as possible before releasing the profile.

Thoughts?