nALFS tarballs will no longer include an LFS profile

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jun 19 22:58:27 PDT 2004

Including an LFS profile with nALFS seemed like a good idea, but it has
become a problem to maintain. Tonight I was helping a friend get his
system set up, and found a few errors in the LFS-5.1.1-2 profile (which
I have since corrected). After correcting them, I realized that meant I
would need to respin the nALFS-1.2.4 tarball, or users would continue to
download the broken profile without realizing it.

In addition to that problem, the profile itself now has the nALFS
version number and md5sum, because the profile installs nALFS during
chapter 9. This results in a catch-22: the profile can't contain the
md5sum of a brand-new nALFS tarball, because the tarball can't be made
until the profile is updated!

Given those problems, I have decided to stop bundling profiles in nALFS
tarballs from this point forward (including nALFS-1.2.4). I have updated
the README file to no longer assume the profile is there. Any
suggestions and/or help to document that people need to download a
profile along with their nALFS download (including text on the ALFS web
pages, if needed) would be greatly appreciated.