Questions about nALFS & LFS 5.0 tarball

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Mon Jun 7 15:12:14 PDT 2004

Rumor has it that Thomas Pegg may have mentioned these words:

>You may want to consider using the latest version 5.1.1 which matches
>LFS 5.1.1.

I'll give it a try... but I couldn't find any wget scripts that would get
over 1/2 of the schtuff to build a stable LFS, which is why I went with the
tarball.

I tried compiling nALFS 1.2.3 but it died horribly, with and without my
specialized compiler flags for my Crusoe laptop... if 1.2.2 will work then
there's no worries -- I'll put more info into another post.

If the wget gets everything, I'll post a webpage with a tarball for those
who want to be able to get everything in one pop.

> > [1] Fujitsu lifebook P2120 933Mhz Crusoe laptop, so the HD is a bit pokey
> > -- it takes about 3 hours just for chapter 5, IIRC.
>Try using a 400MHz celeron sometime. Takes 2hrs just for glibc.

I'd be pairing that box with a couple of *really fast* SCSI drives to try
to drop that figure down a bit... ;-)

Speaking thereof -- has anyone thought about making a "big-ram" nALFS
script that untars everything to a RAMdrive and compiles it from there? I
did this (by hand) originally when compiling my first LFS (4.0 -- #9350)
setup & it improved the compile speed by a fair margin, IIRC (altho I
didn't actually *benchmark* it).

Maybe when I learn more about this, I'll have to do a little
'sperimentin'... ;-)

Thanks,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | "Bugs of a feather flock together."
sysadmin, Iceberg Computers |           Russell Nelson