Questions about nALFS & LFS 5.0 tarball

Thomas Pegg thomasp at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jun 7 14:10:10 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 15:04, Roger Merchberger wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I'm having a couple
> of small problems with nALFS with the LFS 5.0 tarball you can get at
> linuxfromscratch.org... I've googled for a day, and searched the archives a
> bit on this list, but have found nothing so far.
Ok which one did you download, the latest version 5.0 profile is 5.0-3.

You may want to consider using the latest version 5.1.1 which matches
LFS 5.1.1.

> Firstly, I tried using the wget scripts that came with the 5.0 LFS profile
> that was supposed to be for the tarball, and not all sources existed
> anymore, so I couldn't get it to work.
>
> So, I went looking, you can download a tarball of all the 5.0 LFS packages
> at this site:
>
> http://lfs.oregonstate.edu/lfs/packages.html
>
> and here's a link of the tarball I actually downloaded:
>
> http://packages.lfs-es.org/lfs-packages-5.0.tar
>
> However, the xml script assumes that about half of the packages are .tar.gz
> format, whereas *all* of the packages in the above tarball are in .tar.bz2
> format.
>
> But that's not my problem. ;-)  I've got the config files modified with the
> correct sigs & whatnot, and now I have chapter 5 compiling on it's own.
> [Yay!] If anyone else is interested in what I've made so far, please feel
> free to ask, and I can put it on a webpage.
>
> However, in chapter 6, I received an error during the "Make Check" process
> of the binutils 2.14 package - it compiled fine, but it died horribly
> during the make check. :-/
Could you provide the error message, I've never known of any make check
failures in binutils with 5.0.

> 2 questions:
>
> 1) Has anyone else had any luck getting deeper in chapter 6 than this with
> this tarfile... or is there a better profile available for this particular
> release?
>
> 2) How the heck can I say "Just do Chapter 6?" Starting over with chapter 5
> every time something b0rks is getting to be a drag, as it's not exactly a
> "smokin' system" I'm compiling this on... [1]
>
> *Any* pointers most welcome! Thanks,
> Roger "Merch" Merchberger
>
> [1] Fujitsu lifebook P2120 933Mhz Crusoe laptop, so the HD is a bit pokey
> -- it takes about 3 hours just for chapter 5, IIRC.
Try using a 400MHz celeron sometime. Takes 2hrs just for glibc.

--
Thomas
LFS User : 4729