Questions about nALFS & LFS 5.0 tarball

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Mon Jun 7 13:04:58 PDT 2004

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I'm having a couple
of small problems with nALFS with the LFS 5.0 tarball you can get at
linuxfromscratch.org... I've googled for a day, and searched the archives a
bit on this list, but have found nothing so far.

Firstly, I tried using the wget scripts that came with the 5.0 LFS profile
that was supposed to be for the tarball, and not all sources existed
anymore, so I couldn't get it to work.

So, I went looking, you can download a tarball of all the 5.0 LFS packages
at this site:

http://lfs.oregonstate.edu/lfs/packages.html

and here's a link of the tarball I actually downloaded:

http://packages.lfs-es.org/lfs-packages-5.0.tar

However, the xml script assumes that about half of the packages are .tar.gz
format, whereas *all* of the packages in the above tarball are in .tar.bz2
format.

But that's not my problem. ;-)  I've got the config files modified with the
correct sigs & whatnot, and now I have chapter 5 compiling on it's own.
[Yay!] If anyone else is interested in what I've made so far, please feel
free to ask, and I can put it on a webpage.

However, in chapter 6, I received an error during the "Make Check" process
of the binutils 2.14 package - it compiled fine, but it died horribly
during the make check. :-/

2 questions:

1) Has anyone else had any luck getting deeper in chapter 6 than this with
this tarfile... or is there a better profile available for this particular
release?

2) How the heck can I say "Just do Chapter 6?" Starting over with chapter 5
every time something b0rks is getting to be a drag, as it's not exactly a
"smokin' system" I'm compiling this on... [1]

*Any* pointers most welcome! Thanks,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

[1] Fujitsu lifebook P2120 933Mhz Crusoe laptop, so the HD is a bit pokey
-- it takes about 3 hours just for chapter 5, IIRC.

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   ---   sysadmin, Iceberg Computers
zmerch at 30below.com

Hi! I am a .signature virus.  Copy me into your .signature to join in!