Hacker's Guide Content

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Sun Jun 6 22:35:11 PDT 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> James Robertson wrote:
>
>> * Prerequisites: I need prereqs for coding and profile writing.  What
>> tools or other things do you need to be able to participate in this
>> activity?  I have CVS access with an account on belgarath as a common
>> one.  Are there others?
>

> gdb and valgrind are pretty much the most useful debugging tools.
> Other prerequisites are a good understanding of how to program and
> debug an application that forks a great number of times during its
> execution, understanding of socket-based communication and poll()
> loops, basic understanding of dynamically loadable modules and complex
> C structures (used for the handlers to provide their
> parameters/attributes/parsing functions/execution functions to the
> backend).
>
>> * Content on Profile editing:  I am going add a section IV on profile
>> editing.  Would you guys please take a little time and write up
>> something?  Just send it plain text if you want and I'll stick it in
>> the book's XML source.  If you use a modified hint format, that would
>> be easiest, so I know what is a section title.
>

> I'll leave this one for the profile team; Jeremy may be able to help a
> great deal here, as he has very recently learned how to edit profiles
> and the problems he ran into may be fresh in his mind :-)

Best thing to do is look at the existing profiles via cvsweb (or viewcvs
soon), and keep a copy of the DTD Syntax on hand.  If you run into
something you aren't quite sure how to do, then think of a package that
already is doing something similar, and use it as a reference, and
always remember to think of the profiles as ONE document, split up into
pieces.

-J-