Hacker's Guide Content

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jun 6 22:28:56 PDT 2004

James Robertson wrote:

> * Prerequisites: I need prereqs for coding and profile writing.  What
> tools or other things do you need to be able to participate in this
> activity?  I have CVS access with an account on belgarath as a common
> one.  Are there others?

gdb and valgrind are pretty much the most useful debugging tools. Other
prerequisites are a good understanding of how to program and debug an
application that forks a great number of times during its execution,
understanding of socket-based communication and poll() loops, basic
understanding of dynamically loadable modules and complex C structures
(used for the handlers to provide their parameters/attributes/parsing
functions/execution functions to the backend).

> * Content on Profile editing:  I am going add a section IV on profile
> editing.  Would you guys please take a little time and write up
> something?  Just send it plain text if you want and I'll stick it in the
> book's XML source.  If you use a modified hint format, that would be
> easiest, so I know what is a section title.

I'll leave this one for the profile team; Jeremy may be able to help a
great deal here, as he has very recently learned how to edit profiles
and the problems he ran into may be fresh in his mind :-)