ALFS DTD Syntax Doc v3.1

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jun 5 21:02:38 PDT 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> James Robertson wrote:
>
>> * Grammar
>

> Here's a grammatical nit that I'd like to get others' opinions on...
> it's a big change if we decide it should be changed :-(
>
> Throughout the book there are constructs like this:
>
> "The attribute _base_"
> "The packages _gcc_ and _glibc_"
> "The element _param_"
>
> I find this to be hard to read, as it's not common English grammar. Even
> with the font change for the referenced names (which is somewhat
> subtle), it still does not seem to make sense.
>
> I'm not asking for a massive change at this point unless others feel
> that it's warranted, but I'd like to see it happen if it could be done
> in a reasonable period of time.

I was trying to "remind" the reader of the various thing they are
reading about.  I hate it too, but this is technical document after all.
  I can change the stylesheet and use a different token in the xml to
make these stand out different?  Thoughts on that?  I do not mind
changing this stuff, I will just need help on what we want it to say.

James