ALFS DTD Syntax Doc v3.1 (search_replace element)

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jun 5 20:43:51 PDT 2004

"It is used to perform a search and replace operation of a file." -> "on
a file's contents"

There are references to "sub-elements" on this page; this is not
consistent with the rest of the book (although I may have overlooked
some others). Just referring to them as "elements" is fine, or "child
elements" if something more specific is needed, as the "Quick XML" page
referred to them.

"The attribute base specifies the directory in which the file
replacement occurs."

Much like the {move} element this is a difficult way to describe what
really happens; first, there is no "file replacement", there is "content
replacement" inside the file. Second, the base attribute has no effect
at all if the specified file path is not relative, so this might mislead
someone... I don't know of a better way to describe this, except
possibly to defer all explanation of what "base" does to the "base"
page, and make it very clear there that the "base" element/attribute
only affects relative paths specified in the parent element and any of
its child elements.