nALFS RoadMap

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jun 5 19:27:01 PDT 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> James Robertson wrote:
>
>> I just looked at the roadmap.  Man have I been lax lately.  It is
>> really old.  I know that we are on the road to a 1.2.3 release.  What
>> all is that fixing?  What about 1.3?  What all are we after in it?  I
>> remember off of the top of my head:
>>
>> * New logging DTD support
>> * ALFS DTD 3.2 support
>> * conditional execution using the new if, then, else elements
>

> nALFS 1.2.3 will be released this evening or tomorrow, containing only
> two bugfixes (XInclude processing and elimination of the requirement for
>  ~/.nALFSrc).
>
> nALFS 1.3 will have the things you have listed above as its major
> changes. There are probably other things as well (probably the host://
> and file:// URL types I mentioned a week or two ago), but those are the
> highlights. This will be the last major nALFS-1.X release.
>
> Once nALFS 1.3 is out, I am going to start a major code reorganization
> and cleanup, which will result in the creation of an entirely new branch
> for nALFS 2.X. The major goal of that new branch will be a more clearly
> defined separation between the frontend/backend, using a documented
> protocol so others can implement alternate frontends if they wish.

OK, then I will put 1.3 and 2.x stuff on the new roadmap update.  No
sense in putting 1.2.3 on there.  Will you still work on the 1.3.x
branch after you release it?  It would seem that with one hacker working
on the code that 2.x will take some time.  I know that G and I both were
looking for more "package manager" type features in 1.3 with the logging
  DTD and conditional execution. Is that still what you are going to be
able to handle?

Thanks
James