[Fwd: [RFC] - textdump element]

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jun 5 19:19:17 PDT 2004

James Robertson wrote:

> !ELEMENT search_replace (file, find, replace)
> !ATTLIST search_replace
>           base           CDATA #IMPLIED
>           mode           (replace | prepend) "replace"

For consistency's sake the "mode" attribute would need to support
"append" as well. It would also make sense to add a "global" attribute,
which defaulted to "yes", with the obvious connotations.

This would definitely provide a simpler means to insert text into a file
than using search_replace with regular expressions, although the latter
is still something that I want to add, and it would dovetail nicely into
  setting the mode attribute to "pcre".