nALFS RoadMap

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jun 5 19:12:18 PDT 2004

James Robertson wrote:

> I just looked at the roadmap.  Man have I been lax lately.  It is really
> old.  I know that we are on the road to a 1.2.3 release.  What all is
> that fixing?  What about 1.3?  What all are we after in it?  I remember
> off of the top of my head:
>
> * New logging DTD support
> * ALFS DTD 3.2 support
> * conditional execution using the new if, then, else elements

nALFS 1.2.3 will be released this evening or tomorrow, containing only
two bugfixes (XInclude processing and elimination of the requirement for
  ~/.nALFSrc).

nALFS 1.3 will have the things you have listed above as its major
changes. There are probably other things as well (probably the host://
and file:// URL types I mentioned a week or two ago), but those are the
highlights. This will be the last major nALFS-1.X release.

Once nALFS 1.3 is out, I am going to start a major code reorganization
and cleanup, which will result in the creation of an entirely new branch
for nALFS 2.X. The major goal of that new branch will be a more clearly
defined separation between the frontend/backend, using a documented
protocol so others can implement alternate frontends if they wish.