generating package.ent

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 1 17:10:56 PDT 2004

I guess I should have asked this before I started. How are you guys
maintaining the package.ent file? By hand? By script?

I've written a quick for loop that is pretty good, but not perfect. It
reads an md5 sum file and extracts the package name, version, and md5
and generates the package.ent file automatically. The only problem is
that there is currently a lack of naming convention with patches. If
there is no script currently in use, could someone help me with this?

I've so far been able to use cut on the packages (I believe tcl is the
only exception), but here's some patches to show that "-" isn't a good
choice for delimiter:

This one is nice and simple:

gcc-3.3.3-specs-1.patch

These 2 are easy due to using "_" in the patch name instead of "-":

gcc-3.3.3-no_fixincludes-1.patch
inetutils-1.4.2-no_server_man_pages-1.patch

These 3 types buck the trend.

kbd-1.12-more-programs-1.patch
gcc-2.95.3-2.patch
bison-1.875-attribute.patch

This list is by no means exhaustive, but all patches seem to fall into 1
of the 3 naming conventions.

--
Archaic

The politician attempts to remedy the evil by increasing the very thing
that caused the evil in the first place: legal plunder.

- Frederick Bastiat