[Fwd: [RFC] - textdump element]

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 1 08:09:53 PDT 2004

James Robertson wrote:

> I can't remember if I brought it up before or not (and don't feel like
> digging in the archives).  For an update to the ALFS DTD, what do you
> think of adding support for appending data in the middle of a file or at
> some point.  This is good for keeping configuration files in /etc
> updated via script, but also allow you to keep the #Begin and #End
> lines.  I for one, like those.

I'm not opposed to the idea, but I can't imagine a syntax that would
work. I've already suggested enhancing search_replace to handle regex
substitution (probably using PCRE), so that may be able to do what you want.

If you can come up with a syntax that's fairly easy to understand and
document, I'll certainly think about implementing it.