Wrong md5 digest of archive

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 22 12:38:43 PDT 2004

Dieter Raith wrote:

> Meanwhile I found the reason. I started nALFS as root.
> creatingtoolsdir.xml  copies the package files to  the tools directory.
> They are the ownership is
> root and the permissions vary, with root always having rwx.
> Then the user changes to lfs which leads to the fact that most of the
> package files could not be opened.
> The md5 sum error is a follow up and of course misleading.
> After I gave read permission to world for the package files it worked.
> Maybe the error message could
> be adapted.

The error message already told you that it couldn't open the file, right
above where it told you that the digest check failed. Is there something
else it could say that would be more helpful? It can't try to analyze
_why_ the file couldn't be opened, there are far too many possible reasons.

The root cause of this problem is well-known and was discussed on the
list; unfortunately it's not easy to get the tarball of LFS packages
regenerated with only the permissions changed, so for LFS-5.1.1 this
problem will continue to occur.