[RFC] SVN repo reorganization

Thomas Pegg thomasp at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 8 17:09:20 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 11:48, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> While I'm thankful for the SVN conversion that Jeremy did, I find that
> the resulting repo structure is not to my liking, and not the best use
> of Subversion. It's confusing to have branches and tags for multiple
> subprojects in the same directory...
>
> I'd like to reorganize the repo as follows:

<snip>

> In this scenario, the "trunk" directory each project would be that
> project's HEAD; there would not be any subdirs within trunk other than
> the project's own contents. The "tags" and "branches" directories would
> continue to have subdirectories for each tag/branch for that project.

Sounds like a good plan to me, organized a lot better.

> This separates each subproject into its own area, with its own tags and
> branches. It also moves the nALFS User's/Hacker's Guides into separate
> directories instead of being underneath nALFS, so they can be
> tagged/branched independently.
>
> I'm willing to do all this "svn move" stuff at the same time I renamed
> all the tags and branches to use proper names, which I was about to do
> until I thought it out...
>
> One downside to this is any SVN working copies you may have will lose
> their pointer to the parent repo. I believe there's a way to fix this,
> but it would be better to just schedule a time for this to be done and
> ensure that noone has pending commits; once the reorg is done fresh
> working copies can be pulled and work can continue.
>
> Comments? I'd like to get this done this week if possible, so when the
> BLFS profile gets tagged/branched some more it doesn't get even more
> intermixed with the other projects.

When, you say this week, since the 6.0 profile branch needs to be
recreated, now that the testing branch is alive again, it would seem
like it should be recreated after the re-org, but that's just my own
preference.

--
Thomas
LFS User : 4729