[RFC] SVN repo reorganization

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 6 09:48:21 PDT 2004

While I'm thankful for the SVN conversion that Jeremy did, I find that
the resulting repo structure is not to my liking, and not the best use
of Subversion. It's confusing to have branches and tags for multiple
subprojects in the same directory...

I'd like to reorganize the repo as follows:

ALFS
   +---nALFS
   |     +---nALFS
   |     |    +---trunk
   |     |    +---tags
   |     |    +---branches
   |     +---users_guide
   |     |    +---trunk
   |     |    +---tags
   |     |    +---branches
   |     +---hackers_guide
   |          +---trunk
   |          +---tags
   |          +---branches
   +---profiles
   |     +---LFS
   |     |    +---trunk
   |     |    +---tags
   |     |    +---branches
   |     +---BLFS
   |          +---trunk
   |          +---tags
   |          +---branches
   +---docs
   |     +---syntax_doc
   |          +---trunk
   |          +---tags
   |          +---branches
   +---DTD
         +---trunk
         +---tags
         +---branches

In this scenario, the "trunk" directory each project would be that
project's HEAD; there would not be any subdirs within trunk other than
the project's own contents. The "tags" and "branches" directories would
continue to have subdirectories for each tag/branch for that project.

This separates each subproject into its own area, with its own tags and
branches. It also moves the nALFS User's/Hacker's Guides into separate
directories instead of being underneath nALFS, so they can be
tagged/branched independently.

I'm willing to do all this "svn move" stuff at the same time I renamed
all the tags and branches to use proper names, which I was about to do
until I thought it out...

One downside to this is any SVN working copies you may have will lose
their pointer to the parent repo. I believe there's a way to fix this,
but it would be better to just schedule a time for this to be done and
ensure that noone has pending commits; once the reorg is done fresh
working copies can be pulled and work can continue.

Comments? I'd like to get this done this week if possible, so when the
BLFS profile gets tagged/branched some more it doesn't get even more
intermixed with the other projects.