Conversion of BLFS profile to Xincludes

Thomas Pegg thomasp at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jul 4 15:39:24 PDT 2004

I'm beginning the initial work of converting the BLFS profile over to
using XIncludes, this will involve:
Breaking up packages.ent into multiple files, one per chapter and placed
in a packages sub-directory of config_standard.

Adding the following to the top of each of the included files (replaced
< with "(" to bypass spam filter) before the first package or stage
element:
(?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?)
(!DOCTYPE alfs SYSTEM "../DTD/ALFS-3.1.dtd" [
(!ENTITY % general_entities SYSTEM "../config/general.ent")
(!ENTITY % package_entities SYSTEM "../config/packages/chxx.ent")
(!ENTITY % config_entities SYSTEM  "../config/config.ent")

%general_entities;
%package_entities;
%config_entities;

])

(alfs)

and adding (/alfs) to the footer of each file.

Then adding the corresponding (xi:include href="/path/to/file.xml" /) in
place of the entity reference in BLFS.xml.

That's all there is to do.

Jamie(?) and Joachim please chime in with what sections you can do or
want to do, I'm gonna start with chapter 3 and work up through 15.

Since this process may take some time, I've tagged the profile
(BLFS-before-xincludes) prior to making any changes so we have a known
working version available, since doing a piece at a time may break
parsing of the profile, hopefully it won't but it might.

Comments, questions thoughts?
--
Thomas
LFS User : 4729