"Unpacking" steps in profiles with patches

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jul 3 13:17:05 PDT 2004

As I'm going through the BLFS profile merging in my local changes and
preferences, I've come across another thing that I'd like to change...

I prefer to have any patches that are used for a package applied in the
"Unpacking" step, rather than in the "Installing" step. I know the end
result is the same, but it seems more logical to me. This way, the
"Unpacking" step results in a complete, ready-to-build source directory,
with all patches and/or other edits applied, and the "Installing" step
is just configuring, building, and actually installing.

Does this make sense to anyone else? Anyone have a particular preference
for one way or the other?