a revision of profile README

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 31 08:11:05 PST 2004

manchot wrote:

> I ventured to revise the profile README file into the following content
> in the hope that it is approachable for newbies (including myself). The
> reason I do this is that I feel the original README is a bit hazy in the
> part of the configuration file and I wasted lot of time trying to grap
> separate packages while I already have the tarball.

Thanks for your efforts. If the README file was not clear and usable for
a newbie (its intended audience) then we certainly want to address that.
I will let Jamie and/or Thomas take the changes you've made and see how
they fit into the master copy.

> No offence to the developer and I am not sure whether my revision is
> approachable or just does the opposite. Anyway, the file is in the
> following:

It looks OK to me, it has some grammatical errors and is missing some
details though :-).

>         LFS-5.0 PROFILE
>
> This profile must be used with nALFS 1.1.8 or later.
>
> To use the profile you should:
>
> - create a symbolic link to config_seperate, if you are to download
>   files separately by wget script.
>
> - create a symbolic link to config_tarball, if you have the lfs-package
>   tarball (currently only applies to LFS-5.0).

These two items needs to specify that the name of the link needs to be
"config". Also, you shouldn't create a link if you intend to modify any
of the files in the directory, instead you should copy the conents of
the appropriate "template" directory to a new directory named
config and then make your changes, that way you won't disturb the
original files.

> - customize the files in the configuration directory
>   - the file general.ent contains a bunch of entity declarations
>   - the file fstab.xml contains the command to generate the fstab file
>   - the file kernel.xml contains the profile for building the kernel
>   - the file grub.xml contains the commands for configuring grub
>     (the files above are commented out by default)
>   - the file keymap.xml is used to set up the default keymap
>
> - execute sh ./runit as root. Please note that if you have installed
>   nALFS into a non-standard location (/usr/local/bin) then you may need

The part in the parenthesis should say "other than /usr/local/bin". In
that case, "may" is not right, you _will_ need to edit the runit script.