Bug #605 -- Conditional execution

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 29 06:16:06 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 20:37, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> For example, I would love to be able to invoke nALFS with multiple
> filename on the command line and have the entities defined in the first
> carry over into the second, and so on. I don't know whether this is even
> possible with libxml, but I'd venture to say it probably is (even if we
> have to fudge and just combine the contents together in memory before
> providing them to libxml).

Yes that's one thing I hate too. The first entity declared is the one
that sticks, subsequent re-declarations of the same entity are ignored,
which is totally against what feels natural

> I'd say at this point we should collect everyone's ideas about exactly
> how the <if>/<then> stuff should work, give someone the responsibility

My idea of it is rather simplistic becuase I'm not worried about how
entity values are populated. The current first-come-next-ignored setup
works, it just means my profiles include the entity files in reverse
order: local overrides first, global ones last (so the global ones can
be overridden by simply creating a overrides.ent file and for example
redefine the LFS entity to a new location if I don't want to use
/mnt/lfs). The if-then logic shouldn't need to be changed much, it
should just be able to query an entity's value, compare to a 'test'
(equals to, great than, etc) and do something. Even with the current
libxml way of dealing with entities would work out.

I don't think we need to implement being able to pass entity files on
the command line instead of hard-coding a paths in LFS.xml. It would be
a nice feature I fully agree (it would allow me to get rid of my
hard-coded overrides.ent declarations and just pass the file if I
actually have one. Right now, if the file is missing it needs to be
created (a simple one-liner of <!---->) else libxml complains), but it
might be better served as a separate bug entry in Bugzilla so you guys
can choose to work on it simultaneously, or separately.

--
Gerard Beekmans