Bug #605 -- Conditional execution

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 28 19:37:14 PST 2004

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> It's me again nagging you guys on this bug.

No problem, someone's got to keep on top of it.

> I rather turn this config file into XML entities and have the profile
> itself figure out what to do. I'd need the conditional execution
> implemented.

Yes you would. I have also wanted to use this sort of functionality.

> So, my question to you guys is: what will it take to get this feature
> implemented? I can justify spending work hours on this, to a certain
> degree, so I'm perfectly willing to help out implementing it. However,
> my coding skills aren't up to snuff with what you'd expect to see
> quality wise, so I'm not sure I could pull it off properly.

I'm not at all worried about the coding part, that we can figure out. My
biggest concern at this point is defining exactly _what_ we want so
support and how it would have to function.

For example, I would love to be able to invoke nALFS with multiple
filename on the command line and have the entities defined in the first
carry over into the second, and so on. I don't know whether this is even
possible with libxml, but I'd venture to say it probably is (even if we
have to fudge and just combine the contents together in memory before
providing them to libxml). This would eliminate the need for the
official LFS profile to require a "config" directory and have hardcoded
paths to general.ent; instead users could just copy the template, modify
it and pass its name on the command line before LFS.xml.

Personally, I would think this would be mandatory to be able to support
if/then/else logic, otherwise providing the variable values to be tested
in the if/then conditions would be a pain in the butt.

I'd say at this point we should collect everyone's ideas about exactly
how the <if>/<then> stuff should work, give someone the responsibility
of making the final decision what we're going to implement and then we
can all make that happen. I'm in the middle of a ton of things at the
moment so I can't provide much programming time for a couple of weeks.