Bug #605 -- Conditional execution

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 28 15:33:12 PST 2004

Hi guys,

It's me again nagging you guys on this bug.

My interest in this feature has increased of late as I'm trying to put
nALFS to use at work. We use a modified Debian system for our work
distribution that will have some parts of LFS philosophy embedded in it
(since I'm designing it myself I'm putting as much manual from-source
compile in there as my boss will allow me to).

We will be ariving at a point soon where we will have a dozen variations
on the same (private) deb packages, say different kernels for different
clients. There is no way I am going to maintain 12 kernel XML profiles
and handful of other profiles that are essentially the same, save one or
two different installation command lines.

Right now what I do is my kernel xml file <textdump> a script,
<permission> it to mode 755 and run it. This script then parses a config
file to determine which kernel package to use, how to install it, and
all that stuff.

I rather turn this config file into XML entities and have the profile
itself figure out what to do. I'd need the conditional execution
implemented.

So, my question to you guys is: what will it take to get this feature
implemented? I can justify spending work hours on this, to a certain
degree, so I'm perfectly willing to help out implementing it. However,
my coding skills aren't up to snuff with what you'd expect to see
quality wise, so I'm not sure I could pull it off properly.

But, I'm open to suggestions if there are other ways in which I can get
this process started, if at all possible.

Let me know so I can inform my boss asap, he's waiting on the outcome as
well.

Thanks,

--
Gerard Beekmans