<remove> DTD proposal

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 26 18:23:42 PST 2004

Jamie Bennett wrote:

> <remove>
>    <base>/home/jamie</base>
>    <file>remove-me</file>
> </remove>

Actually base is an attribute here, so the proper way of doing this
would be:

<remove base="/foo/bar/baz">
   <file>name1</file>
   <file>name2</file>
</remove>

I can't think of a way of doing it without breaking backwards
compatibility; that has already been broken for DTD version 3.2 in the
<patch> element, so if we're going to do it we might as well do all of
them we can think of at once to minimize future pain. Actually,
<remove>'s syntax was already incompatibly changed between 2.0 and 3.0,
so this is not a terribly big deal.

As best I can tell, <remove> is the only top-level element remaining
that used untagged content, so this would be a good thing to fix IMHO.