cross-compiling

Joachim Beckers joachim.beckersNOSPAM at belgacom.net
Thu Jan 22 11:40:32 PST 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Joachim Beckers wrote:
>
>> Important question:
>> How do you test if a "real" cross-compile profile works?
>> You'll always need someone who has two computers from a different
>> architecture.
>

> That's certainly true, although the resulting build could be packaged up
> in some form to be transferred to someone with a target host, but that
> would slow things down considerably.
that could be a solution, but this will tracking down bugs a difficult and long
task, because you'll have to transfer the whole thing whenever you change
something try to fix a bug

>> Why would you want to build an LFS on your (let's say) 1GHz athlon for
>> your 1GHz powerpc?
>

> For a PPC maybe not, but I can think of a couple of reasons:
>
> - the target has no available distros to use a starting point, or they
> all suck
no available distro's: seems impossible to me
they all suck: this happens all the time :-)

> - you don't want to build a complete development system on the target,
> only a runtime system (think embedded systems)
i don't know anything about embedded systems
sorry

> - (the point you already raised) the target may be slow, or have limited
> disk/memory resources (or both) that would make performing the build
> there difficult or impossible
indeed, and that's IMO the main use of crosscompiling
the point i want to raise is that people who crosscompile for an i386/i486 will
(most of the time) do this on a i686 host
people who crosscopile for an old apple or so wil do this (most of the time) on
a new apple host
Am I right about this?

regards

joachim