cross-compiling

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 22 11:21:21 PST 2004

Joachim Beckers wrote:

> Important question:
> How do you test if a "real" cross-compile profile works?
> You'll always need someone who has two computers from a different
> architecture.

That's certainly true, although the resulting build could be packaged up
in some form to be transferred to someone with a target host, but that
would slow things down considerably.

> Why would you want to build an LFS on your (let's say) 1GHz athlon for
> your 1GHz powerpc?

For a PPC maybe not, but I can think of a couple of reasons:

- the target has no available distros to use a starting point, or they
all suck

- you don't want to build a complete development system on the target,
only a runtime system (think embedded systems)

- (the point you already raised) the target may be slow, or have limited
disk/memory resources (or both) that would make performing the build
there difficult or impossible